28 May 2010

Notes

            This morning I came across the Portuguese word “Saudades”  while on Facebook. I recollect that this word is not fully translatable into English because it is, by definition, cultural in context. When I check a free online Babylon Translation Portuguese to English translation service the response is: “n. regard, respect; n. missing, nostalgia, longing, yearning.” Such a mix of personal intensity and feeling. I love the word because it is a part of being Brazilian and it can be found better worldly translated through the pulse of the music and dance of Brazil. I would like to think the Dead in my books understand the Brazilian meaning when they think of Life. I understand the word some because wife and I lived Brazil for two wonderful years (1970-1972). I have not forgotten “Saudades”.
         This was our maid, Edette. One day while she was cleaning our apartment and doing the wash I stayed home from school ill with the flu. At lunch time she made me a soup and sandwich and while I sat at the dining room table eating she made her own lunch and sat in the kitchen to eat. 
          It did not seem right that she not eat at the dining room table with me and I said in my broken Portuguese, “Edette, why don’t you come eat with me,” and she came to the hallway and replied in English, “This we do not do here. However, I know your Langston Hughes,” and she proceeded with the following poem in English and then in Portuguese:
I, Too.

I, too, sing America. 

I am the darker brother. 

They send me to eat in the kitchen 

When company comes, 

But I laugh, 

And eat well, 

And grow strong.

Tomorrow, 

I'll be at the table 

When company comes. 

Nobody'll dare 

Say to me, 

'Eat in the kitchen,' 

Then. 


Besides, 

They'll see how beautiful I am 

And be ashamed- 


I, too, am America.

Edette smiled and I smiled too and said among other things, 'I am impressed with the passion in which you said the words.' She then returned to the kitchen to eat in peace. That is the way I remember the incident, and I learned a lesson not forgotten. I was not ashamed and neither was she, but beautiful she was and still is to me. Saudades, Edette, also an American.

You are too concerned on your memory, orndorff. You say what you feel. Post. Later, dude. – Amorella.




Late afternoon and you are on errands, presently at Natorp’s for Carol to buy more flowers. Another busy day with one thing or another. Tomorrow, up to Westerville for the afternoon and evening then back to Mason.

Friday night. You and Carol finished ‘24’ after watching Masterpiece Theatre last night. You are caught up with all your entertainment except for the last two hours of Lost. You do watch some shows for the script and also to see the setting, plot, theme and character portrayals. Many times you watch with envy.
I do not have the wherewithal to write such things. “24” ended well which I was happy to see. Masterpiece Theatre, especially the mysteries are great for character and setting. Slowly we are getting things caught up and after another day or so working on the yard I believe we will be. Retirement is good.
We can work on scene twelve tomorrow and Sunday. Soon it will be finished and we can move on to the next scene and the one following. Relax. Enjoy what is. Post. – Amorella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment