30 November 2010

Notes - Florida, my grandfather, and the Dead


         Dusk. You are packed and Carol is finishing up. Last minute odds and ends before loading the car. Later, dude.

         Light supper and the national news. Luggage is at the door ready to be packed in. Once this is completed the MacBook goes to the back seat. The iPads are updated and AT&T is on for updates on the move.

         The excitement builds, as always when we head to Florida. We love the drive down I-75 and I have been driving stretches of it since 1966 when I drove my grandfather, Clell Tullar Orndorff, over to the Miami area to see a retired colleague of his. We took my 1965 green VW Beetle, drove down to St. Pete then to Naples, over Alligator Alley to Miami and up to St. Augustine and home. Wonderful trip! My grandfather and me! I still feel that down home ‘special quality’ on every trip.

         In here the Dead aren’t so far away, boy. Half-a-heart at most.

         'Half-a-heart' brings forth a good feeling, Amorella.

         Later, old man, I'll give the phrase an explanation. For now it's a placement not a distance. Human hearts don't float in physics . . . least they don't in my stories. - Amorella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment