28 November 2010

Notes - sc. 13 - conversation prep - morals & responsibility


        Home from a quick trip to Polaris in Columbus, lunch at Potbelly’s with Kim, Paul and Owen, and the delivery of cat Jadah to them for safekeeping until you return from a Florida holiday in a week or so. Neighbors on both sides house-sitting as well as the usual home surveillance devices set up in the mid-nineties. You upped your iPad from OS3 to OS4 and Paul showed you how the new system works. Tomorrow you will kick Carol’s iPad to the same. Electronics fuels some excitement just as the early Atari 2600 console and cartridges did back in the late seventies into the late eighties for you.

         Atari was simply fun, as is the Nintendo 64 which I still have and bring out of the closet every year or so for a few games. I know the games are much better today but I’ve lost the toy end for picking up serious music and the practical aspects of mail and networking. The only game I play regularly on the iPad is a free ‘Slots’ game. I’d rather hit the keyboard instead. This brings up tonight and I suppose a new section of scene thirteen after the first bit of sexual encounter between Sophia and Salomon. What are they going to talk about, chariot racing?

         How about a short ‘what if’ conversation, child-like wondering about how it might be in the other cultures. What about the dead soldiers meeting their counterparts, even those whom they killed or killed them? What about atrocities committed by both sides? The deceptions and alliances gone bad – we can keep this within families as well – how do those treat those who abused them in one form or another? If you remember you used this concept before, when Caesar meets Brutus after death.

         I don’t think I actually did, Amorella. It was a plan for somewhere in the books. I think people had to choose to sit and the same table with an enemy and drink wine and break bread so to speak. But if I remember right, this had to do with moving from Heaven to Hell or Hell to Heaven. Something along those lines. It was too long ago. I am sure it is somewhere in notes maybe ten years ago. I don’t think it is worth checking on. This is not what I expected here and now. Water over the dam. Imaginary thoughts without any real weight to them.

         So, you are beyond this sort of banter now?

         No, but I can’t see anything useful coming from it as far as the reading audience is concerned.

         You mean you can’t see anything useful coming from it as far as your own reading is concerned? What would you say to someone who had hacked your head off?

         I really don’t know, Amorella. I have never thought of such a thing.

         If you were dead and your head had been chopped off you might decide such a thought appropriate. What if a drunk driver had killed you in your prime? What would you say to such a person?

         If sheorhe were remorseful what else could one do but forgive herorhim. Accidents happen, drunk or not drunk. If the person were still fairly well pleased with herorhimself for the damage thus done I think I would rather not see the person at all. It would be one thing to be headless and be gloated at. I would rather not enjoy that person’s company. It could be quite complicated depending upon the sensitivity and empathy in an error prone world where we live. One is supposed to be responsible for herorhis actions. That’s the way our culture sees it, or at least used to. Now we can blame committees and companies and governments and so forth. The individual culprits may never see the blame. I get a vision of Dante’s Inferno here, where individuals were actually seen and punished for their misdeeds.

         How do you think the shaman got around this problem of individual morals and responsibility?

         I have no idea, Amorella. This can become really, really complicated.

         Which may be a reason why the Dead of the different cultures have not tried to see eye to eye?

         Maybe. I don’t know. I hadn’t thought about it.

         Well, orndorff, that is what they are going to talk about so you might as well begin considering these points. Post. – Amorella.

No comments:

Post a Comment