29 March 2011

Notes - travel prep / for self-enlightenment / copyright's purpose? / self-test?

            Shortly after noon. Some chores and errands completed and you are in the middle of mowing the yard. Number one priority at this time is completed, boarding passes. You are feeling much better – the rest of the day for the trip is cake as far as you are concerned.  Carol has her hair appointment in less than an hour and has decided what she is wearing to the airport. The rest, alas, is not completed though she has the bed full of outfits, etc. You would just pull a couple to take and that’s it. Why these things are such decision problems you have never understood. 

            Whatever is in the closet is acceptable as it is already in the closet. Pick out what is clean and go with it, that’s my take on packing for a trip. Unfortunately, Carol does not always agree. I told her what I was wearing to the airport and she said, “That sounds preppy, I’ll go with this or this, what do you think?” What I am wearing is what was clean and a shirt and sweater for peeling if it gets too hot. Nothing preppy about it. I look bulkier in jeans and haven’t worn them since the seventh grade. Why are jeans not preppy? This stuff makes my head reel. Too much energy spent on something you are wearing for a day. I’m done. Back to the mowing. 

             Post. – Amorella.





Surprise when Carol returned, she wanted to go to Longhorn’s, so you went. Excellent as usual, plus your server, Jennifer, said she wouldn’t be in Saturday as she and her husband are moving to a house, for which she is duly excited. You mentioned your trip as why you won’t be here Saturday so you had more than your usual chat. You and Carol were both hungry so it was a more than delightful choice for lunch.

Back to yesterday’s discussion. You are in a quandary because, although I set the stage for the scene and characters you have a feeling you have heard and seen of them before. First, and foremost you don’t want to be boring to yourself. This is one of your old fears, that if you are boring others will also perceive you as boring.

Well, when you don’t have much going for you, you have to come up with something. Humor and story-telling always helped get my students through my long involve, and I am assuming this blog is pretty much like a lecture that no one is forced to come to, so I would like my thoughts to be entertaining anyway. I, strangely enough, enjoy having audience. Too many years in the classroom, I guess. I like to think I am still of some value to society. Gives some sense of self-worth and dignity in retirement. That’s pretty much what it comes down to. So, that’s where I’m coming from, it?

Those are your real thoughts if that is what you are asking. – Amorella.

Some thoughts are not well-thought, ‘entertaining’ is not the right word. ‘self-enlightening’ is better, but this is not polite to my kind readers.

Self-enlightening is entertaining from your perspective, but yes, it is not so polite to readers, who kind or not, come in second. It is honest though rather blunt. You were writing notes to yourself with me as a format (as it were) since the mid-eighties with no readers but Fritz Milligan, your long time friend and attorney. As such you are being consistent as they have always been ‘self-enlightening’ – what else, as they are still ‘experimental writing’ as they were then. When it comes to copyrights Fritz is a good friend and witness to have, don’t you think?

I suppose. I don’t see why copyright is important if eventually I will give the books away online for free. What makes the difference?

I make the difference, boy. Big business rules the world, but it doesn’t rule me. If people want the business, I’ll give it to them for a price.

We talked about this long ago, Amorella. I signed a personal contract to give my first readers a percent of profit after I took in a certain amount. I don’t know why you had me do that in writing, it is rather embarrassing, as I didn’t make any money, but it is not embarrassing that I would give them each a certain amount. I suppose it has to do with human dignity. It is a part of our culture. However, I have worked passed the profit angle, it was fairly easy to do. I write for the enjoyment of sharing what’s in my head with whoever is interested. It costs me nothing but added pleasure in retirement.

Well, boy, I don’t see it that way. From my perspective nothing is free. A price will be paid. That’s the way life and death is in these books and blog and that’s the way it will be. – Amorella.

Fine. Whatever you say, Amorella. I need to check over last minute items, I don’t want to forget my laptop, iPad and Tom-Tom.

Carol is finishing her packing, and you might as well do so too. Later, dude. Post. – Amorella. 

             


On NBC News tonight the program ended with their “Making a Difference” series – this time it focused on the volunteering Dutch speaking Mennonites from northern states still helping Katrina victims as they have been doing since the Katrina event five years ago. You were surprised how it stirred your ‘center’ self. No names please, they implied, as humility is the virtue not pride.

It reminds me that the virtues of the Pilgrims still exists in some religious (spiritually guided) communities.

You have a problem using the word ‘religious’ when spiritual will do.

It is a personal opinion.

Do you have good reason?

I would hope so, but it comes down to my beliefs concerning the meaning of ‘transcendental existentialist’ for me, for my centeredness. I was stirred because the Mennonites show a good demonstration of living by their faith and cultural community standards. My centeredness was stirred by their centeredness. Nothing more than this.

That will do.

Was this some sort of self-testing my own personal standards?

Questions clarify thought. I was providing some, nothing more, nothing less, as you sometimes are so quick to think or say.  All for tonight and until you have time during travel and/or get settled with Craig and Alta in Tucson. – Amorella.


No comments:

Post a Comment