18 April 2011

Notes - Yard Work / Being Human(e) is a Hope

Early afternoon. Arthritis is taking its toll today. Errands to do shortly. Beautiful day. You have the yard to mow one day this week, but today is not it. Tomorrow, lunch with Bud C. and Rich G. Perhaps you will be feeling better. You had stopped the Celebrex completely after the trip and it has caught up with you. Read your Shakespeare book – see how it goes from this author’s perspective. – Amorella.

         You and Carol mowed the yard, had left over Papa John’s excellent pizza and you have trimming to do as it is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. You were uptown at Kidd’s Coffee for an ice tea and oatmeal-raisin cookie, ran an errand to the bank and are at Kroger’s for bananas and milk for breakfast. Your joints are feeling better this afternoon but are still not up to par. The touch of a cold or flu perhaps.

         I haven’t read any more of the book. I just saw a very well mannered middle aged Indian woman in a new Indian outfit of bright robin egg blue (trousers, vest and blouse). Very sharp and spring-like, and she looked deliciously so with the kind, open smile she threw my way. That’s the way a person ought to feel upon first being dead. Reborn, I guess, a new egg. Anyway, she was cool. She raised my spirits with her outfit, smile and polite, civilized demure. Funny how that is, on a lazy April late mid-afternoon. A stranger’s smile made my day.

         Back home to more yard work – I trimmed and Carol edged the driveway for better definition. It took a couple of days but the yard looks more Spring normal than when we arrived home Thursday night.

         Almost time for the national news. Later, dude. – Amorella.


         Strangely and paradoxically, your ability not to give much of a damn for your species and yourself is a saving grace. I say this because you care very deeply about your friends.

         Too much politics, too much religion in absolutes, we are stuck in systems of our own making with far too much focus on ‘power’ and methods of persuasion. 1984, Animal Farm and Brave New World, I taught and/or made reference to them almost every year I taught. Eisenhower was right on the military-industrial complex only now it is the industrial-military complex. I am old and behind the times but I know the logical fallacies and see and hear them being used every day throughout the media. No one appears to have the time for reason and compassion. Empathy appears to be with number one whoever that might be at the moment. Critics are everywhere. People want to make a name or money or both. The older generations of the Greeks and the Romans had essentially the same thoughts about the world towards the ends of their days. We survive. The species survives and I hope it will continue to do so. Why it should do so, I have no idea. Why we might survive physical death I have no idea. I like to hope though that we are greater and more human(e) survivors than I think we are.

         Tomorrow, lunch with old friends, enjoy the break. Post. – Amorella.

No comments:

Post a Comment