20 January 2012

Notes - the old fogey / images of Avalon setting for A & M


         Late afternoon. You are sitting outside the Walmart Superstore on Mason-Montgomery Road in Deerfield Township waiting for Carol to pick up sundry items. Earlier you had blood work done by Phil at Bethesda North Outpatient and you have an appointment with Dr. Goel next Thursday. Also on Thursday Gilkey Windows is sending out a technician to check the leak at the sliding door after Scott confirmed where Tuesday’s leak was yesterday. Mary Lou was coming down tomorrow but tonight you are under a ice storm warning until noon tomorrow.
         Everyone is scurrying around like ants after a sugar lump. I hadn’t thought about my marsupials and their weather on ThreePlanets. I don’t think I ever mentioned the weather – that is not too good. I was more interested in the terrain, so much for realism.
         They were Merlyn’s dreams, boy. You picked up a double whammy of irony this morning on your Facebook page. – Amorella
         Yes, it was funny. I had put up an article about how science shows lectures are not a good learning tool and commented on whether I should apologize to my former students or not, then I said that if they weren’t listening to my lectures they didn’t learn anything, or something to that effect. It was a dark-humored attempt at a joke. I signed it, “Mr. O the old fogey.” I got on this morning and looked over all the positive comments and was somewhat embarrassed because I wanted them to see the subtle irony in life that one sees from time to time if you live long enough. The experience was enough to remind me of how lucky I have been in my life to have had so many kind students over the years. Even one of my comrades at Indian Hill, Jim P., concurred – I had forgotten he sat in on one of my lectures on Beowulf. I enjoyed working with him in those years. We still communicate, mostly on line but not always. I told him later I had been somewhat depressed when I first read a similar article on Laney’s FB page. But, today, I think of all those people who defended the flat earth concept and those who had given their professional lives to the concept that the sun travels around the earth (that is what it looks like). Anyway, my bit of glumness is rather trivial. Like I told Powers, I enjoy a dark sense of humor – I would like to find something funny or ironic in having a noose hung around my neck for a one time only event.
         Showing your true colors, boy – Cyndi Lauper could give you an added wink just before your hanging. – Amorella
         Love it, Amorella, sounds exactly like something my old friend Bob Pringle would look at me directly and say in a droll monotone (in this conversational context) over lunch.
         Post this, buddy boy. - Amorella


        After twenty-one hundred hours and I sit with sorted descriptive images of the location of Arthur and Merlyn on Avalon. I have been staring at an image from Google Earth some 200 meters directly above Stonehenge. I have photos from Salisbury Plain country looking northwest from Stonehenge, I believe towards Wales.
         Carol just headed upstairs and so did you. Take a look at some of your photos of England. You’ll find one. – Amorella
         It took a while but I found twenty photos from England that I will use for descriptive purposes for Avalon. Most are from the grounds of Leeds and Warwickshire Castle grounds.

The Spring of Avalon

         This is where Merlyn first meets Arthur in Chapter Eight.  The surrounding landscape below:

South of the Spring of Avalon

         There, you have your setting. Time for bed. Post, orndorff. - Amorella


No comments:

Post a Comment