31 August 2012

Notes - My Grandfather and Me / In Memory of Fathers Orndorff


         Today is your grandfather's birthday, he was born in 1895. He helped rear you up. For one, he gave you a set of encyclopedia (twenty-six volumes) that you read through in junior high school. He loaned you the money and bought your first new car for you (you paid him back once you began teaching), the 1965 dark green VW with all the bells and whistles a VW Beetle had in those days. He always stuck up for you in terms of your father's attitude towards who and what you should be (a scientist and a hunter/fisherman/outdoorsman) like himself). Popo was a father figure like Uncle Ernie. He was kind and a soft-spoken man who had owned an Indian motorcycle back in his younger days. To you Clell was cool and laid back. You took him to Florida in your new car to see an old friend of his who had recently retired - a real two-week adventure with Grandpa. He was one of kindest men in your life and you miss him still. - Amorella

         I would still be stumbling for words, Amorella. He always had shredded wheat cereal for breakfast. He always soft boiled his eggs by breaking them in a pan of boiling water. He always washed and rinsed the morning dishes (weekends) effectively and efficiently by his sparing use of running hot water. He was a hunter and fisherman and conservative (several conservation clubs) of the natural habitat. He had a quiet smile that I can see on my third cousin Dave Short. Over the years of growing up (from elementary school through high school) Popo also took me to church gatherings with him at the Second Evangelical United Brethren Church at the corner of Main and Grove across from Otterbein's campus. Kim and her cousin Sharon were baptized in the church. I haven't entered it since, but I remember, and we pass it regularly on our trips to Westerville. Aunt Patsy and Uncle Ernie attend that same church. Mom's folks were First Presbyterian - a different breed of theology and doctrine. The United Brethren were more outgoing (more social events) and fun (they even sang many of the hymns in the original German). The United Brethren were more like the Methodists they eventually merged with. They are now called United Methodists. That's the way I remember it. Those are my immediate thoughts on my grandfather, Clell Tullar Orndorff (1895-1974).  We will rest together where an older man and younger boy/man used to walk the dogs and talk on life in the pleasure of shade trees and stones, Otterbein Cemetery, not a bad conclusion to life, not in the least. Both set of grandparents and many relatives, friends and acquaintances I have known in life will rest with us.

         You are thinking, "I would just as soon wait that last sleep awhile, but it will come when it will come and I am long ready for it." - Amorella

         You are too honest and blunt with my heart, Amorella. I cannot deny those sentiments however.

         No matter in disclosing a truth, boy. The refreshment does you good. Carol is coming up from the woods in the park. When home, post. - Amorella




         A late lunch at Smashburgers as you had a coupon for a free side. You both love their sweet potato smash fries. You have returned to the far north end of Pine Hill Lakes Park sitting on the east side of the sixty to seventy-foot hill to the immediate west of the lot. Clouds have moved in though. Remnants of Hurricane Isaac will be rolling through Saturday and Sunday. - Amorella

         You have been mulling over "Pouch-2" and decided to drop some material on the marsupials in from Pouch-4 to speed it up. Also, you have complications with the flashback to the 1988 first landing on earth when most people were dead (a twin earth and a real one from my perspective). I understand your concern and I also feel that you need not drop all sections to a 500 word maximum. This was an idea the kept you awake into the night. - Amorella

         How can I cut the number of words in half and have the story say twice as much? I thought that was the idea.

         You are being too literal, boy. You wanted all those details in the first edition because 'immense detail' is a part of an existential novel and to you Moby Dick fit the bill as an example of detail. - Amorella

         1651 hours. We are home. Those were my thoughts going into the first book of the trilogy. I added detail to make the works more substantial, more realistic. I am now being reminded as to where I was coming from at the time.

         Thank you for not attempting to apologize for the facts. - Amorella

         I thought better of it.

         Once home you headed to the basement to search for an old photo of your grandfather to place in today's blog for an added memory and in doing so you remembered that you told Marcia and Dave that you would look of some old college photos that his children might like to see. - Amorella

         I did. I have the box setting on the floor to my right. I will take a while to dreg through all of them and if I am going to do that I should put them in some sort of decade order for mulling through at a later date.

         Take a break and get it done, boy. - Amorella

         1938 hours. I have the photos in one box sorted, mostly by people and events. Most of the photos are of Kim in her elementary school years, ages six through ten. I have a few of my grandparents. The photo I want is of Popo once retired and sitting in his rocking chair on the front porch. There is one at my Great-Grandparents Orndorff's farm in Center Village, Ohio of my great-grandfather, Howard Sherman (1864-1949), grandfather, Clell Tullar (1895-1974), dad, Richard Bookman (1918-2001) and myself, Richard Henry (1942). It was taken shortly after the war, 1946-1947.

         This photo will do. Scan and drop it in tribute to the three men, since you wouldn't be here without their own personal contributions. - Amorella.


In Memory of my Fathers

         That will be all for tonight. Post. - Amorella

          This was not my expected post for today, but I think my Grandfather would appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment