31 December 2013

Notes - just to be done / Happy New Year kind readers

30 December 13

         2310 hours. I cannot sleep because I am thinking about the account Aunt Patsy recently wrote about Uncle Ernie from notes he dictated to her in November 2013 about his secret intelligence work leading up to and during D-Day operations during World War II. This is material I had not heard/read before. When he was talking about it with family yesterday, he said, “I cannot forget the bodies I saw in the water as we flew over the beach during the battle.” His eyes had a look of remembrance made present I have only seen a few times in life. Most notably by Carol’s Grandfather Hammond who was an upholsterer who helped craft building of the HMS Titanic – he looked at us one Thanksgiving Day in the 1970’s and said, “It should have never sunk.” He heart still wanted to deny the fact he knew was true. And, another, an older comrade I worked with at the Westerville Sewage Plant while in college during the 1960’s. John, a coalminer from West Virginia, said, “My brother and I heard the sharp crack above us and we ran toward the speck of light. My brother didn’t make it.” His eyes were large and in past and present both at once. He continued, “that was my last day working in mines.” In each instance of the personal moments never to be forgotten in life – a sense of momentary remembrance in a present earthy framework shivered into my soul during the eye-to-eye contact. Uncle Ernie, more my father in spirit than my real father in the flesh showed me ‘witness’.

         You are struggling to explain the nature of this vividly lucid eye-to-eye human communication of less than a second or two of measured time I cannot – save say, you were in the moment, not within the five senses, but you were as a witness, a secondary being ‘touched’ by a primary. – Amorella

31 December 13

         Mid-afternoon. You ran some errands and had lunch at Potbelly’s in Kenwood. You bought a new modem (with your own monthly savings), an Airport Express as you were having trouble with the old one last night and couldn’t get the Internet on any of your Apple machinery. – Amorella

         1448 hours. A couple of months ago Time Warner started renting their modems at five dollars a month. It will take seventeen months at a hundred and five dollars cost but from then on the modem will be freely used. While we were at Kenwood Mall I took a picture of the first Tesla charge station, which is right in the covered parking lot. Yesterday I read on Green Car Reports that Apple ‘ought’ to buy Tesla outright and go into the car business as well. That would be an interesting mix. Both products use batteries though so maybe it is not too far fetched as far as a concept goes.

         You are sitting facing south (to catch the shade of a fur tree) at Rose Hill Cemetery crossroad central. Carol is working on balancing her checkbooks instead of reading. In a bit you can work on Grandma Nine, but first . . . about Uncle Ernie, John C. and Henry ‘Harry’ Hammond 1886-1979. You are puzzled over what word that can best be used to describe the twitch-in-the-eye that you saw in each man’s face as he spoke of an unforgettable life memory. – Amorella

         1505 hours. The twitch-in-the-eye is about a third of the observation, but the two-thirds buried iceberg-like behind the eye is what I remember first; the twitch strangely, which was in event sequence first was secondary to the memory which, rising up cause the twitch. But from my perspective chronologically, the most important, the humanity-of-the-specific-memory, was second. Lucidly vivid are the descriptive words that remain in my mind. I personally do not have a memory that is associative to their specific memories here because their memories hold a specific historic memory that others would have shared. We know about the Titanic and D-Day, but somewhere in West Virginia and elsewhere there is recorded and personal knowledge of that specific coalmine disaster where John C. literally outran a crushing death. – I look around at the many leafless trees and naked stones; many with nearby small American flags rippling in the brisk westerly by southwest winds. A winter’s invisible blanket of bleakness without foreboding covers this Rose Hill before quickly shuffling on east by northeast. Makes me wonder if the Dead have moved on from here or not leaving spiritless bones and cremated aggregate to settle into clay waiting for something new to be made of this place and the many others scattered about the world.

         2017 hours. I have spent a couple of hours attempting to set up the new Apple router with Time Warner, all to no avail, so I rewired and had TW reboot the old 2008 router (a Motorola SB4200 cable modem) which is also connected to another older router (a Cisco Linksys VURT110) that I didn’t realize existed under Carol’s computer desk. After the first of the year I will attempt to clear this up with Time Warner before returning the Airport Express. One would think I could easily substitute the new for the Cisco. Carol is happy to be back on the Internet presently. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. I am assuming I erred in thinking that the Motorola is the modem we rent. It may be the Cisco. If that is the case, then the error is mine. Hmm. This would not be the first time.

         Orndorff, why don’t you post this just to be done. Later, dude. - Amorella

         I wish you, my kind patient readers, the Happiest of New Years!    rho :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment