22 September 2009

Precise Thought


This is Amorella. A sunset reflection in a thundercloud with six clicks of added color effect for drama and you almost have to wonder what this is all about.


The adult mind articulates a litany of prescribed words. The first bit of vocabulary coming to mind suggests a grammar that preceded it. Any one of the eight parts of speech will do.


What did you think noun, verb, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction or interjection?


That’s easy, Amorella. I thought a series of words, a litany, if you will, that every would be sailor knows: “Red sky at night, sailor’s delight.”


This is a red cloud, orndorff, not a red sky.


I checked the Merriam-Webster’s and it says the etymology of ‘sky’ is Middle English meaning “cloud, sky, from Old Norse sky cloud; akin to Old English sceo cloud.” Thus,  the rhyme could be “Red sky [cloud] at night.” But back to your original question, the part of speech for “Red” is an adjective. I thought of an adjective first.


The part of speech shows where you are coming from. The cloud was ‘descriptive’ first not a noun. If it had been a noun what would be the word?


Paths.


Why?


“Paths of glory lead but to the grave.” A line from the pre-Romantic English writer.


What is the writer’s name?


This is embarrassing. I don’t remember. (pause) Gray. “Elegy in a Country Churchyard” – Thomas Gray.


I just looked it up. I was wrong. The title is: “Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard” and line 36 is “The paths of glory lead but to the grave.”


The above are examples of how the mind differs from the brain, at least from my perspective, orndorff.


My mind does not have the memory, it is not so precise.


In this case, the mind is closer to the passions of your heart than it is to the brain. You are not a straight thinker, and I doubt many human beings are. ‘The power of words is not the words themselves but the passions they evoke.’ What do you think of that as a statement?


I would have to say that the passions are closer to the heart of the matter than the words presented. I would have to conclude that this may be one of the reasons the deeper in the heart one goes the fewer words sheorhe finds there. I don’t think I have thought this before, but without a long and full memory I do not know this for sure.


I remember I started writing notes many years ago because I thought I might not have any memory when I grew old and at least I could read about my thoughts to refresh myself, but now I see that was not such a good idea because I had not thought about how it would be. I could read the words, the thoughts, but they would not truly be mine without the passion of the moment attached at the  time they were written. The notes are little more than ‘Words, words, words,” as the writer of Shakespeare once wrote.


Self-reflection is sometimes a bit cloudy, orndorff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment