03 June 2010

Notes on upcoming scene 14, ch. 5

       Shortly after noon and you just finished the newest Newsweek, 7 June 2010, which arrived today. The science writer, Sharon Begley, has an article titled, “The Hidden Brain” on page 24. You find it very interesting and are looking for the most important aspect of the 727 word piece.
         What I liked was her reference to dark matter and the brain in the same article. Cool beans, I thought because I was thinking along those lines anyway, and when I see someone else doing so, for even entirely different reasons, it gives me a kind of hope, a vindication, that I am mentally well enough to carry on for another day. I say this with humor in hand as I hit the keys on the board. That’s what’s exciting. As for a quote to lift, there are too many and I don’t want to go illegal here even though the article can be found online by title and author.
         It is interesting that the brain continues to be a work during a default mode where nothing is really going on. So I’ll place 127 words of the article here, and I suppose, let it go.
“The brain is in default mode when we stare into space, sleep, succumb to anesthesia, make our mind a blank while sitting motionless—in short, when the brain’s only task seems to be keeping us alive and breathing. This default activity, to everyone’s surprise, is no mere murmur in the background of a loud symphony. It is the symphony, consuming 20 times as much energy as the conscious life of the mind, including thinking, feeling, and using our senses—the mental acts captured by the brain imaging that so entrances the public. “The brain at rest is not at rest,” says neuroscientist Alvaro Pascual-Leone of Harvard. “Even more important, this resting activity is not random, but is well organized and constitutes the bulk of the brain’s activity.”” – “The Hidden Brain,” by S. Begley, Newsweek, 7 June 10, p. 24.

         See, you found exactly what you wanted to use in no time but a quick skimming. > Separate lunches while meeting at Panera, you had a Chipotle to go. Presently at the Kroger lot on Tylersville. Drop off a letter to Jim and Jeanne S. on the way home and you are set to write scene fourteen of chapter five. As you glanced over it you see it began with Merlyn and assume it will end that way on the early morning of the early morning of the eighth day of the Rebellion.
         The second week, as it were. It will be interesting if the word numbers for the second week correspond with those of the first, for consistency’s sake.
         You would have a semblance of numerical grammatical order throughout these three books?
         I think it is important, Amorella. Time doesn’t exist for the Dead like for the Living, but I think the consistency would be comforting to the reader, it would be comforting to me in any case.
         A day or two ago you were questioning an error that was made in terms of Reason in the Heart of an Angel and forgot about it.
          Yes, thanks for reminding me. Merlyn felt this, but to me it is not Reason (with or without a capital), it is passion. I think it should be passion. I’ll find the line. > That was easy, it is the last line of the last scene.
If an Angel exists, thought Merlyn in those and these days, Reason still stirs her Heart.” Sc. 13, Ch. 5.
         You were right, Amorella. I can’t say, “Passion still stirs her Heart.” I was thinking that in our conversations, that is, between Amorella and me, passion was the key, the passion for writing was the key, something along those lines.
         You need to constantly separate yourself from the story, orndorff. The Angel’s passion may be for Reason, how is that? I would hate to have an inconsistency pop up. And, yes, I am being sarcastic here. Mostly it is a human problem, that’s how I see it, and mostly it is from not thinking in grand enough scales that are not as human (humor) centered as people would like them to be. I promote some of this thinking in the books, in the first three, it is mostly what you like the call the unorthodox nature of the Merlyn’s Mind series. From my perspective the human mind works more like the books are written, not how people conform to writing most novels. If people have trouble figuring them out, they could look in the mirror and try to figure themselves out first. My goodness. Some might find a lack of consistency in the their thinking for instance. People plague themselves thinking they are something they are not both as individuals and as a species. You too, orndorff. Post. – Amorella. 



          It is late. You have been watching television with Carol and then checking FB to find Rick C. sent you more former students’ names and pictures. So many, but old fond memories pop up from time to time along the way and you are taking time to say hello, and the exercise makes you feel good. Perhaps we will work tomorrow, orndorff. – Amorella.
         It is exciting to say hello, Amorella. It is not so much the memories as it is ‘touching base’ with people I once enjoyed teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment