09 June 2010

Notes & a second paragraph for sc. 14, ch. 5.

        Four in the morning. You have been up some time unable to sleep. Sandy J. sent you a note that one of your Class of 1960 classmates, Todd G., died yesterday after a prolonged illness, and it gives you a renewed perspective, especially towards your reunion.
         Early afternoon. You are packed and ready for your trip. You are happy the neighbors are looking after the place as they have done for the last eighteen years.
         Always someone about on our section of the street. We all look out for one another when gone on vacation. It is hard to concentrate on writing while packing and so forth, getting too excited. We have been doing Florida in the summer every year since 1972 when we returned from Brazil. Since 1975 it has been with family, Carol’s sisters and their families after Mom and Dad Hammond passed away back in the early nineties. Tradition! As Topol used to say, and tradition it is.
         Now that you have “Fiddler on the Roof” in your head how are you going to get it out?
         I don’t care to get it out. I love the musical. I love the songs and the characters.
         You don’t know the lyrics.
         I don’t care. I feel the songs. I don’t need to know the words. I know the intent of the songs, that is enough.
         Later, old man.  Post. Amorella.
         I was going to say there is nothing important here, but that is not true. This is all important to me.





         Late afternoon. You are again running errands, Hallmark first then an ice cream, then later supper out at the B. Pub as it is cheap hamburger and wine night. You are still not ready to write but let’s work on something so you’ll feel better about it. The main point here is that you have the audio draft done by the time you return so you can give it to Aunt Patsy and Uncle Ernie while you are at Cathy’s. You have to be over to Fritz’s house by six-thirty Friday night, 25 June. Let’s go to it. – Amorella.
         You added a second paragraph for scene fourteen, the one which you think is too wordy, too dense, but then the red earth as been pressed so what would you expect. Place your second paragraph here for now.
         "Merlyn’s unconscious mind is trained in the Classical and Druidic way via Greek and Latin plus the knowledge and intuitive understanding of the reasoning culture of both periods. Thus, the earthly ecclesiastical framework coming to mind for settling a concept is by way of an amalgamation, a mélange of solidification for an added dimensional depth of understanding. In a word, and amalgamation through alchemical thought. A crucible of powdered red earth and a fire heated beaker of the purist of condensed waters from the deep and might Styx allows Merlyn a patience for golden thinking." [par.2,sc.14]

         In the new Discover on page 44 there was another article, “The Dark Hunter,” an interview by Fred Guterl with  Elena Aprile, a physicist with an interest in dark matter. I have one paragraph for you to copy as it may be of use in this scene also.
         The question: “Seriously – what is dark matter?”
         “The best answer is that we have no idea. We know dark matter is there. We’ve known it for more than 70 years. There was a 1933 paper by the Swiss astronomer Fritz Zwicky showing that visible matter is only a small fraction of the universe. Just 18 percent of the matter in the universe is composed of the stuff we know. The remaining 82 percent is what we call dark matter. Other discoveries in astronomy have since reinforced this view that something is missing. We know dark matter is there, but only from its gravitational effects. For example, the presence of dark matter helps explain why our galaxy is stable. The Milky Way is a disk that rotates like a merry-go-round. The question is, what keeps it from flying apart? Gravity, of course, but there is not enough visible matter in the galaxy to account for the amount of gravity needed to hold it together. That’s why we know that there must be other matter there that we can’t see.” [Discover, F. Guterl w/ E. Aprile. J/A, 2010, p. 44]
         This is a really good explanation. Even I can understand it. I love the logic. How can it be refuted? Facts are facts, unless/until science finds another perhaps more reasonable explanation. I love science because it always has questions. This sounds terrible but while philosophy has questions too, it is religion that generally has answers. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me to have answers when we cannot know the questions, especially when it comes to G---D, if SheanHe exists in a recognizable ‘conditional form’ such as compassion and empathy, in attributes human beings can relate to. I have a real problem with this and even though I consider myself an agnostic person I also consider myself a spiritual person because I am a human being like everyone else.
         Are you going to apologize?
         No, I am not.
         What if a real Angel were in the room? How would you know? Would you then apologize?
         I would not know if a real Angel were in the room or not. Why would I apologize even if there were one? I speak my mind. This is what human beings do. You are beginning to irritate me, Amorella. What am I supposed to do, say I see an Angel on faith alone? I don’t see an Angel, let’s say I don’t ‘sense’ any conscious element or ‘matter’ in the room but me. What is the difference between faith and wishful thinking anyway. Grandma always said, “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.” I can accept my humanity. I do not know things. This is humbling. It allows me to be curious and to ask questions and learn things sometimes. Sometimes there is nothing to learn. I’m pissed off and don’t feel like saying anything else.
         Then, good night, and have a good trip. Relax and enjoy the fact that you are still alive while others your age and younger are not. – Amorella.
         I am thankful for that. Sandy J. and I were talking about that. We are still here to enjoy the reunion, and that is what we hope to do.
         Post. – Later, Dude. – Amorella.

No comments:

Post a Comment