23 September 2013

Notes - intelligent and humane


         Almost time for bed. You are reluctant to post today because you were busy with family. You and Carol drove to Delaware to meet Kim then she took you to the Primrose School in Lewis Center where you met Owen and Brennan for lunch. You obviously couldn’t sit in the little chairs. Carol pulled a big white chair up to sit with them and help Brennan with his plate, but you stayed in a chair on the sidelines observing.

         2148 hours. I have too much bulk. I felt uncomfortable so I sat aside rather at the tiny table. It was all rather awkward. Everyone had something to eat but Carol and myself. There were two other grandmothers there beside Carol and no grandfathers but me.

         Afterwards you called Kim who hadn’t eaten and suggested Bun’s Restaurant in Delaware for lunch. You had not been there since you were seven or eight. You went with your Grandparents Orndorff off and on since you were four or five until you were about junior high age. It was always fun and the food was always good, and to you, it still is. You were surprised when Kim grabbed the bill, but it was kind of her, and you accepted the offer. You love your daughter almost more than anything. She puts you in your place sometimes and that is when you love her best. She stands up to you with a smile and special quick wit. Why is that so important to you, orndorff? – Amorella

         It is important because as she was growing up Carol and I wanted Kim to be an independently thinking young lady. I would dish ‘it’ out, and she would cleverly and wittingly call my cards every time it was important to do so. I could/can be quite forceful and demanding and to some when I use a command teacher voice I can be quite intimidating. She learned not to be intimidated by the likes of me, of my forcefulness and use of logic. She would snap back with some logic of her own (sometimes from my class - oh, the irony). She is smart and resourceful. Kim is independent minded and strong willed and she demands that their kids learn reason and humanity both (Paul has always, as long as I have known him, shown these same traits). They are two wonderfully intelligent and humane in their thoughts and actions. The boys are being brought up that way too. What more could a father ask for? (2203)

         See, you thought you were tired and had nothing worth noting in your blog, but this was not true. You said plenty tonight. Post. - Amorella

          It is important because it is true. Carol has those same traits. I love her for the same reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment