24 June 2014

Notes - the AM / afternoon and PM /

        Early mid-morning. You both had breakfast; you read the paper. Logistics are set for tomorrow. Last night after watching a PBS show on Underground London which you both enjoyed, you spent two hours taking down the Bose system and unscrambling the wires into the back of the television – lots of wires seemingly untouched since 2003. Everything is either in the basement or Carol’s study to be taken to the trash Sunday night. - Amorella

         0844 hours. I cannot believe how long it took to cut plastic wire bindings and sort out the fairly neat bundles of wires in the back of that set – plus three and two wires systems to the subwoofer and on to wiring for the iPad and Bose system to the chair in the back of the room as well as to the two Bose speakers and their stands (I’m keeping the speakers for the time being). It is no wonder people want sound bars with wireless subwoofer. Simulated surround sound is fine with me. Time to put stuff in the car. No time for writing but perhaps later in the afternoon.

         Post. - Amorella

         Evening. You have been home for a while. Tomorrow you meet Carol, Kim, Linda and Mary Lou at Max and Erma’s at Exit 50 on I-71 around noon. The television will arrive between 3:30 and 5:30. When you arrived home before dusk the Sony sound bar package was waiting on the front porch. Checking out the price you paid and the price on Amazon; Amazon was two hundred and ninety-eight dollars some fifty dollars less than Best Buy but according to their low price guarantee they will give you the lower price, so you should save fifty dollars in the transaction. – Amorella

         2137 hours. This may sound stupid but honestly it doesn’t seem fair. I don’t want Best Buy to go out of business. I already have some discounts that Paul haggled for me. That’s my feeling, but my inclination is to, as they say, take the money and run. This is a moral issue as much as anything else. This is an example of what I don’t like about living on this planet. I don’t have to go so far as to feel guilty about taking the discount because I don’t. However, it seems to me there should be a better way to live, to fair deal for all parties involved. Many businesses have to resort to cutthroat deal to survive. What a rat race. How does this make people feel better? Getting a deal? Everyone pays one way or another in the long run.

         Earlier this afternoon, after a great lunch buffet with Uncle John, Carol, Kim, Linda and Mary Lou at La Scala’s in Dublin (Paul used to wait tables at the restaurant in high school) I drove to Westerville to see Aunt Patsy and Uncle Ernie. We talked for about an hour and a half about lots of things. One, I found out that Churchill’s bunker was not where Uncle Ernie went to deliver messages – he didn’t know where it was during the war. He did deliver intelligence messages to Churchill via Churchill’s office (somewhere in London) but Churchill was never there as far as he knew. The other interesting fact I discovered as that he, as an officer, and ten enlisted men were allowed to attend the opening ceremonies of the Nuremburg Trials. He said he would wish no one today would have to witness such an event. He also arrived at Dachau three months after Dad was there at its liberation and there were people who were attempting to walk back to their homes, some more than 150 miles away. He said he and his men were ‘insignificants’ at the time. Most of the liberating forces were chasing Nazi’s across Austria and relied on others to help the former prisoners. He also said that when Dad was there (on leave he drove to meet my dad) Dad could not eat seeing so many hungry children on the other side of military fences, that many took their food to give to the children instead. I never saw that side of my father. He was always a rather stern man. Uncle Ernie said that in reality Dad was very kind-hearted but he would never show it to family; Ernie did not know why, neither did Aunt Patsy, Dad’s sister. It is interesting to hear these things about people you thought you knew. Mostly growing up Dad wanted to take me hunting and fishing and I didn’t like either one. Eventually I stopped going and he took my sister Cathy instead. I can’t think of anything more to say. But this is what I remember about today. (2202)

         Post. - Amorella

No comments:

Post a Comment