23 June 2014

Notes - mostly muse /

         Earlier morning. You are sitting in the shade in the car at Pine Hill Lakes Park facing east near northeast of the earth dam. Not as many birds singing but a pleasant time of day nevertheless. – Slow down, orndorff. You are trying to remember what this chapter two is about; you don’t need to because that is what you are working about. “Family” is the subtitle so that’s all that’s needed. I’ll help plow through the extra. – Amorella

         0804 hours. I haven’t really thought about the books this last weekend. We had a good time – tomorrow I am going to stop by Aunt Pasty and Uncle Ernie’s before coming home tomorrow night. Mary Lou gave me the local paper – I love the photo of Uncle Ernie, maybe I can scan it for a copy. And, I want to take the old VHS tape from my 2003 retirement tribute that Laney Bender-Slack had made for me and have Jack Cook create a DVD from it. That was one of the kindest things Laney has ever done for me. I remember when she was new to the high school (coming from the junior high) in the mid 1990’s. I liked her immediately. She has the most friendly smile. For Christmas she gave me the Complete Works of Shakespeare. I made a promise to myself that it would be possible to become ‘special’ friends even though we are both contentedly married. We still are. The year after I retired she also left to work on her doctorate in education. She now has tenure at Xavier. I am so proud of her and her accomplishments. She and her husband Jay have two accomplishing and endearing children. He has his doctorate in science. What a wonderful family. Laney is my muse, first and foremost because when I started the Merlyn books in earnest in 2004 (the first trilogy) I asked her if I should lean neo-classic or romantic. My inclination was neo-classic because I wanted to write subtle satire like one of my favorite writers, Jonathan Swift. Laney said I should write what she knew me to secretly be, romantic. This is (deep down) very difficult because though it is what I am – I find it too honest – I’d rather sing, “I am a rock, I am an island” (as I used to do, strumming on my old four string guitar) a fortress, if you will. ‘Be a writer, but be as you are to me’, is how I interpreted Laney’s – “Be a romantic”. This is a part of what makes Laney’s and my friendship special and why she is my muse in these Merlyn books. It is not easy for a naturally shy man like myself to be naked where it counts most – in heart and soul and mind.

         You are home. To you, being honest is being naked. Many may not agree, but for you there is a truth to it. You want to be honest with what you would take with you if when you physically die your consciousness continues in one form or another. – Amorella

         Yes, this is the context of “where it counts most”. I am glad you clarified this. Thank you, Amorella. (0922)

         You had a late lunch at Smashburgers and ran a couple errands. It has been a rather busy catch-up day. You did do some exercises yesterday and a full forty minutes worth today. Tomorrow up to Dublin and lunch with Uncle John. Carol is staying with Mary Lou tomorrow night and you all meet again sometime on Wednesday. Post. Later, dude. - Amorella


No comments:

Post a Comment