29 November 2014

Notes - tired

         You had a routine morning of breakfast while reading the Saturday paper. Walking down the steps to breakfast though was a new experience in that you sat halfway because of lightheadedness. Carol chatted about an article on the Camry; you listened but without the passion for a new car (she was not suggesting such). You assumption is that new car days are over and this is something you can now live with, particularly since you are not driving. – Amorella

         1002 hours. Time for a pill for dizziness and a relaxing bath; then I’ll skim the new Automobile and Motor Trend so I can dump them in this week’s trash. I don’t mind reading the articles. Maybe it’s time for an X-Box for some entertainment – though I could start by warming up my own Nintendo 64 on the TV in Kim’s old bedroom.

         Later, dude. – Amorella

         You set up and filled the bird feeders after cleaning them. Carol cleaned the last of the leaves from the lower back deck. You both caught up on a few more shows then watched an hour program about ‘Living Free’ on National Geographic this evening. Carol is presently lying in bed playing sudoku on her iPad while you are sitting in the comfort chair in the southeast corner of the room. This was pretty much the day after running a couple of errands in the afternoon. – Amorella

         2127 hours. Dad would have loved the show on ‘Living Free’. I can easily see him living off a little of nothing while building a small cabin near a stream or river in the back hills of Virginia; killing pack rats with a slingshot or killing a turkey with bow and arrow, something he relished doing this time of year. We had squirrel over a fire at least once. The adults in the program had good hunting and survival skills. Most of what they used we learned in Boy and Explorer Scouts. It was rather fun to watch for a change but I remember camping more as an annoyance rather than fun and adventure. Now, walking or hiking through the woods or on hilly trails I remember that fondly, that was more of an adventure. Sleeping in a tent was just that and nothing much more during any season (which we did more the once). Spring was too wet and more than mildly uncomfortable; Summer was too hot and buggy; Fall was almost perfect; and Winter was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be even with wind and a snowstorm or two. I earned the merit badges of camping and hiking in my day. The hardest was building a fire without matches in the Spring; the easiest in late Fall/early Winter. Forging for food was okay, but I don’t ever believe I ate what I killed. I did have to gut it though. Water, berries, peaches or apples and a warm watery potato soup would do, plus I would sneak a candy bar, mostly likely a couple of Snicker’s bars if I could get away with it. I did eat what Dad killed. No choice sometimes but I didn’t like the gaminess of smaller animals and picking buckshot out of ducks or geese. I did not like moose and I did not like bear or a variety of mountain critter toughness. I would think I would remember some of those times with fondness, but I do not. I was what I felt was an obligation to do what my father liked. Nature, I did and do but not hunting or fishing or surviving in the wilds.

         You are surprised that you cannot recollect fond moments, but you do remember fond aromas on those outdoor adventures. – Amorella

         2155 hours. Walking through a thick woods after a spring rain was most delicious to breathe in. I think it was the oxygen in the air. I remember pancakes cooking in a skillet and corn on the cob setting in foil on the fire coals, hot chocolate and roasting marshmallows and/or hot dogs – old memories rattling up because of the National Geographic channel.

         Time for your inner ear pill boy. Post. – Amorella

         2204 hours. I am getting tired of this dizziness and light-headedness at in opportune times. It is all rather tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment