21 August 2016

Notes - the keyboard / Cahokia Mounds /


       Mid-morning, Sunday. You finished the paper and breakfast; Carol is still working on the paper. Spooky is curled up downstairs and Jadah is sitting in a sunbeam next to the bedroom window. – Amorella

       1007 hours. When I began writing characters for my stories many years ago I decided to give them a sense of free will, thus they are allowed to write themselves. Yesterday, on Facebook, one of my former students Jeff suggests that being in third person in a story has no bearing on real life. This struck me strange because I walk around in third-person sometimes. Third-person adds a dimension and gives me a perspective I would not otherwise have. I don’t like the pronoun I so much when there are whole worlds of human ‘I’s’ out there. Being in a state of legal existence (passport, driver’s license, etc.) is that ‘I’. “I want. I need. I like. I hate.” I feel the need to read my thoughts. Reading my thoughts gives the thinking a more solidifying dimension than having thoughts swirling around in my head with the memory to hold on to a few. I have seven years of ‘published-on-line blog” to show I don’t have much in my head. Like Amorella says, “You know next to nothing.” I agree wholeheartedly. Proof is in the blog and the Merlyn novels. (1029)

       Your fingers love the keyboard, boy. – Amorella

       1030 hours. No question about it. I love the keyboard. The keyboard allows the invisible to become visible.

       Post. – Amorella


       You spent more time packing clothes (summer to late Fall). The top of Pike’s Peak, fourteen thousand feet may even be cold. You were reading about your first stop for the night – Collinsville, Illinois.

** **

Collinsville is a city located mainly in Madison County, and partially in St. Clair County, both in Illinois. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 25,579, an increase from 24,707 in 2000. Collinsville is approximately 12 miles from St. Louis, Missouri and is considered part of that city's Metro-East area. It is the home of the Brooks Catsup Bottle Water Tower, the world's largest ketchup bottle, and is the world's horseradish capital. Monks Mound, the largest man-made earthwork in North America, and now part of the Cahokia Mounds State Historical Site, is located here. . ..

The Cahokia Mounds State Historical Site is located within the city limits of Collinsville. The largest Pre-Columbian settlement north of Mexico, this was one of the first eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites designated within the United States. At its peak about 1200 CE, it had a population of 20,000-30,000, more than any city in the present-day United States until after 1800. It includes Monks Mound, the largest prehistoric earthwork in the Americas, and more than 70 surviving smaller mounds. Monks Mound is larger at its base than the Great Pyramid of Giza. There is a museum and visitors' center.

Selected and edited from Wikipedia

** **

       1241 hours. This is awesome. We visited a number of ancient sites in Latin America and we have our own ‘Fort Ancient” Native American site about fifteen miles north of us in Warren County. I did not know about these Cahokia Mounds. We’ll have to stop either on the way out or the way back. Most cool.

       Post. - Amorella




No comments:

Post a Comment