29 June 2010

Notes


         You have no idea as to where to start as now both the reunion and your annual Florida vacation are over. First, you left Tampa yesterday morning at six thirty-seven and arrived home at twenty-two forty-seven and eventually got to sleep around zero thirty-five hours. Awoke at nine, bath with jets and bubbles, then off for lunch and errands. Presently you are in the Kroger lot at Tylersville.
         Next, the reunion. This is only important because it is close to your heartansoulanmind. As such, it is important in your writing. The Southwest flight from Tampa to Columbus was uneventful, therefore good. You had never flown with a baby before but Owen was on his best behavior. You took your iPad and began Flatland and completed the book on the return flight Sunday.
         From Wikipedia: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is an 1884 satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott. Writing pseudonymously as "a square", Abbott used the fictional two-dimensional world of Flatland to offer pointed observations on the social hierarchy of Victorian culture. However, the novella's more enduring contribution is its examination of dimensions; in a foreword to one of the many publications of the novella, noted science writer Isaac Asimov described Flatland as "The best introduction one can find into the manner of perceiving dimensions." As such, the novella is still popular amongst mathematics, physics, and computer science students.”
         I read this back when we were overseas on the suggestion of the head of the math department, Vladimir R. Wonderfully insightful book then and now. In many ways the satire reminds me of 1984 and Brave New World.
         Last Friday night you saw your old high school classmates, Bob B., Ken C., Steve G., Doug G., Fritz M., and George M. as well as two of their spouses, Nancy G. being one.
         I was terrified I would forget everyone’s name and I feel I left a couple of names off this list. I did not forget my name once because it never came up as to who I was, thank goodness. We had a very enjoyable evening talking a little bit about everything but religion and politics. 
         Last Saturday morning you waited for Sandy J. in the front of Bob Evans in south Westerville and when she drove in you recognized her immediately though she waved first. A warm hug in the parking lot then talking through breakfast of cheese omelets and coffee for her and diet Coke for you.  From there you drove her around her and your old childhood stomping grounds in and around Minerva Park. A most delightful two and a half hours.
         The fiftieth reunion Saturday night was quite enjoyable meeting up with old friends and classmates you haven’t seen in fifty years. Afterwards, Fritz, Bob and you ended up at the hotel where most had rooms and you had a drink, your first rum and Coke in at least twenty-five years and chatted another couple hours away with your old classmates.
         I cannot express my many private feelings of Friday and Saturday, partly because I don’t have the words, and partly because they are private and best left with those I socially engaged with those two good-to-best days I have ever spent with those special friends (who know who they are). I am ever thankful Fritz M. talked me into going to this my first high school reunion of the ‘old’ Westerville High School Class of 1960.
         Your classmate, Kay G., a twin, reminded you that you and she won a dance contest in junior high school . You were surprised and quite pleased she remembered. You sat next to Sue N. (who saved you a seat) at the table with Sandy H. sitting on the other side of Sue. Jean N. sat next to Sandy and on the other side was Keldon D. and his wife and to the left of her was Judy K.’s husband and then Judy sat to your right. One of the Emcee’s  was Judy S. (the other was Keldon D.) another of your very old and special high school friends.
         You’ve hit those closest to my heart, Amorella, in one place or another as well as a few others. Sue N., Sandy H. and Doug G. were friends from the old Minerva Park Elementary building on Cleveland Avenue on the west side of Minerva Park. We share childhood memories as I share old memories with all those in attendance as well as with those no longer living. I was given the honor of saying a few words before the balloons were let go, each in memory of one of our classmates. I loosed the one for Phillip Crane as Jean N. found me and gave it to me. I had a script but forgot where it was (in my back pocket) so I ad-libbed. I am thankful I lived long enough to be there for the occasion, and concluded that my Aunt (Ruthie S.) graduated from Westerville and she recently told me she was surprised that I was celebrating our Fiftieth already. She then said she had her fiftieth Westerville High School reunion eighteen years ago. She added that those who are local still meet twice a year in Westerville. I am happy I added that. We had/have a very special class. I love our present Uptown Westerville meetings once every two months. I wish more could be there (as regulars) too, especially Sandy H., Sue N., Judy S., Kay G., and Doug G. They will be there in my head and heart in any case.
         You needed to say that, orndorff. Post. – Amorella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment