27 August 2017

Notes - remainder / a truism /



       After noon. You are back from picking up three bags of dirt for a hole in the north quadrant of yard. -- The bags and distributed, raked, seeded and covered with straw. Carol is finding a small hole for the remainder of the last bag. - Amorella

       1327 hours. "Remainder" doesn't look spelled correctly but the checker has it correct. I checked, and it is correct. I cannot remember the last time I used the word. Perhaps my error is because I'm not familiar with seeing it in print. The self-evident "main" as the base is the problem. According to my Oxford/American the origin is Middle English from Anglo-Norman French, from the Latin remanere. This origin is from late Middle English which is from the Old French (expressing extreme force) and manere meaning to stay. I never thought of remain in terms of staying through extreme force -- I was thinking of remainder in terms of a division problem, not those remaining of an Army division, for example. Words are so interesting it is no wonder I have spent a lifetime in their organization and manipulation of thought. How can anyone be bored living in this world?

       Carol is finishing with the remaining dirt, seed and straw. Then she can relax too. Post. - Amorella

       You drove for three more bags of dirt. Didn't listen closely enough to Carol direction for placement (where she already had seed) dropped more on, tried to rectify it, apologized and you are letting her do the rest herself (which is what you believe she wanted to do in the first place). - Amorella

       1427 hours. After fifty years of marriage one would have thought I would have caught onto the situation but I didn't. I just wanted to get it done and go back inside to the air conditioning. When I got over to Ace Hardware I told Jim and his mother that if I had bought six bags of dirt to begin with I would have had three 'remain' in the garage to soldier on for another day. Both agreed as it is one of those unwritten laws covered by working in or around the house. You don't have to inspect too many garages or sheds to know this is true.

       Post. - Amorella

No comments:

Post a Comment